Kiss the Storm

I could see the clouds roll in. They were as black and gray as my day had been despite the sun and hot temperatures. Part of me secretly believed this storm was sent for me. To mirror and then shrink my emotions from the day.

I walked to the front porch and sat in an over stuffed chair. The empty chair beside me I left for the dog. He got in the chair and then decided he preferred my lap to his own giant chair. Naturally. My little white, furry shadow. We sat and watched the storm as it quietly began to sneak in behind us. It doesn't just erupt as expected. Instead, it toys with us. Teases us with clouds dark and ominous but no moisture and no sound or light affects. Eventually, our pre-show is interrupted before it even starts with family that flutters around us; oblivious to the pending beauty that was sure to grasp us soon. My furry white shadow and I wait again as the family leaves to run an errand.

We make our way to the back deck and my little friend makes one last lap around the yard for the night. He stands in the middle of the yard and stares at me from the ground as if waiting for me to entertain him. When I opt not to he gives up and decides to join me on the deck.

The breeze is picking up. I am only wearing a black nightgown so it feels like the breeze is covering me completely as it blows around my legs and finds its way to my stomach. I look to the left and notice the sky has now turned a purplish orange in one little area. It lights up with a flash and even the white shadow stops to see and hope it will repeat. The next flash seems even brighter.

I feel one drop.

Then another.

The dog seems to care as much as I do that its raining on our heads; which is not at all. It isn't a soaking rain... just large, patient, singular drops. I let the breeze tickle me and lean my head back with my eyes closed and watch the storm roll in within my mind. The water is cool on this hot muggy night and I stay still and calm as I await each drop - one after another- fast enough to know its rain but slow enough to taunt- head back, eyes closed and breeze in my nightgown.

Little white shadow has had enough. I feel him move towards the door and I reluctantly give in to him and go inside.

Time passes, the family returns and I hear the roar of the thunder rolling over me now. The storm is speaking through the roof letting me know it was running late tonight but appreciated the time we had for the brief time we had it. I finish this entry, log off my laptop and then silently tell the storm goodnight and send the moon a kiss.

Comments

  1. Once again, simple and well captured beauty. Please write more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts